In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
My product uses some forms and conventions of a school magazine. For example, I have included features such as an insight into what's happening in upcoming weeks. These often feature in a school magazine. However, I have also tried to challenge these conventions; I have included different articles which may not necessarily be included in a school magazine. For example, I have included two features entitled ‘Have your say’, in which there challenges for the students to speak out against each other for what should feature in nexts weeks magazine. I did this because I want my magazine to be informative, interesting, and above all popular- as well as being individual. I wanted to achiece some kind of brand identity in doing these added features.
How does your media product represent paticular social groups?
My magazine represents sixth form students that attend the Priory School. I tried to convey this in particular way on my front cover,where I have included a picture of a few students that attend the sixth form . I wanted to do this so that the audience would straightaway be able to identify with the magazine. I also tried to do this by including features which I hoped would help sixth form students, by considering what they could possibly struggle with or need information on when attending the sixth form.
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
My magazine is intended to be distributed by a school, as it is for students that attend the Priory school itself. So it should be distributed by the Priory School. The magazine informs students of events, information and any other topics regarding what is going on inside the school.
How did you attract/address your audience?
I believe that the biggest way to attract my audience straight away was to put a very effective picture on the front cover of my magazine because it gets the readers guessing about what they can expect within the magazine and whether it's meant to be serious or just a joke. In order to achieve this i included a photograph of a select few of the sixth form students which could help to achieve a serious effect to my magazine. I wanted to give the audience something to identify with- other sizth form students in particular. I also informed the audience on the front cover of what type of magazine ‘The Priory’ is. I did this by putting three pictures on the bottom of the page, as I hoped that this would make it clear to the reader about what sorts of things would feature in the magazine. I hoped that my intended audience would recognise some of the faces featured on the front cover and would possibly be more inclined to read it.
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
By creating this magazine and being able to apply my own ideas, I have learnt a lot about how to use the PagePlus and PhotoPlus programs and what sorts of technology is needed to create a magazine. I have learned how to edit photographs and put certain effects on them to make them stand out more than the background and the words. In addition to this I have learnt how to create different coloured backgrounds and how to make different typographic effects. This can be seen on my contents page, where I have faded the word ‘What's new’ and "Features". This preliminary task has enabled me to experiment with the software available to me, which inturn will help me to produce the main task; a music magazine.
Moreover, I have learnt that space, colours, pictures, writing all fit together to give an overall effect- although this isn't related to the technology. I have learnt a great deal on what is important for a magazine cover, and why things are used in order to attract their targeted audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment