My music magazine has many conventions that other music magazine also use. The most commonly used convention followed is that my magazine concentrates purely on the music industry, although it may not necessarily focus on the artists performing the music like some other music magazines for example, Kerrang, my magazine features interviews with music producers and more interestingly music moguls which is highlighted on the contents page. Therefore this could be seen as a challenge of this particular convention because I have chosen not only to feature other things such as interviews etc, but also the way in which my magazine comes across to my particular target audience. There are conventions which can be seen – for example – on my front cover and contents page, and these are used at basic levels, but remain very effective in interesting my target audience and making my magazine successful. Examples of such conventions are a Byline, list of features, masthead and headline . By using these conventions, I have created a brand identity, in order to do this I made it obvious that my media product is a magazine, but also, by analysing these specific conventions, I have made it clear that my magazine has a specific music genre; for example the list of features on the contents page include " R'n'B" artists- which lets my audience know that my magazine is a "R'n'B" magazine.
In addition to this some conventions I decided to follow and further develop in my own music magazine. This helped me to analyse different conventions in more detail and therefore apply that knowledge to my magazine. On my front cover, located next to the barcode there is a small quotation which although small I have made quite visible so that it has some meaning towards why I put it there. This quotation is a lyric by the artist featured on my front cover. I decided to do this, because when researching other magzines I saw on the cover of an edition of NME. I decided to use this as I thought that it would create some brand identity for my product, making it more original and memorable. I also hoped that it would give some insight into the type of artist that is featured on my front cover.
One of the main challenges in my magazine is the fact that I only have one real image on my contents page (apart from the photos of my features pages). Though this is not necessarily a traditional convention of magazine contents page, most of the contents pages that I looked at for research had at least three different images on them or even more. I decided to challenge this convention as I felt that the image featured was such a strong photo that it needed a page to itself in order to create a maximum impact. whilst researching different contents pages I came across a contents page in the music magazine "vibe", which is where I got the inspiration from to do my contents page. As my features page is quite busy, and contains a lot of photos of the artist, I wanted my contents page to be a lot more simplistic, and therefore this is why I chose not to include more than one image.
Below is a slideshow which I devised in order to further explain and develop the conventions of my music magazine and the reasons why I chose them.
Media AS coursework – music magazine evaluation
No comments:
Post a Comment